Monday, September 13, 2010

I just wanted to share a few geeky things:

1) While I was walking to hockey (it's a lovely half hour trek each way), I came to a parking lot. Wondered if it was faster to go diagonally across the grass around the lot, or to just take the corner. And then I literally did the pythagorean theorum in my head. (Simplified it down to a+b=c, so theoretically, taking c, the diagonal, would be as equally efficient as taking the corner, a+b). Eventually, politeness won out, given the fact that walking across the grass wouldn't be nice, but still. The thought was there. And it was proved with a mathematical theory.

2) In my economics textbook, it talks about errors to be avoided when modelling economic relationships, one of which being the fallacy of composition. This basically says that what may be good for one is not necessarily good for all. (They used the example of how if one farmer harvests a large crop, it's good for him, but if they all do, then prices decrease by an amount that would more than offset the benefit of a larger harvest). But what other theory does this remind you of? Yeah. Spock saying that the good of the many outweigh the good of the one.

3) The Enterprise, as everyone knows, is the NCC 1701. My ID has the numbers "7107" and that's freakishly similar. I'm just saying.

Anyways, I really should go back to studying economics now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts, or just say hi!